I stumbled upon this recipe in my search for ways to use the fresh cranberries I found at my local orchard. I couldn't be happier because theses scones are the ultimate combination of tart cranberries highlighted by a hint of orange and all ensconsed within an incredibly delicious scone.
A huge thank you to Vegan Yak Attack for sharing this recipe she adapted from The Old Farmer's Almanac for glazed lemon cream scones.
There's inspiration everywhere!
Now to dig in!
1 cup (235 ml) water
1/4 cup (35 g) raw cashews
1 tablespoon (7 g) ground flaxseed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups (265 g) unbleached all-purpose flour 1/3 cup (75 g) sugar
1 tablespoon (14 g) baking powder
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons (40 g) cold vegan butter
1 cup (86 g) fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups (185 g) powdered sugar
2-3 tablespoons (30-45 ml) non-dairy milk (or leftover cashew cream, if you have some) 1 tablespoon (15 ml) agave nectar
1 teaspoon orange zest
1/8 teaspoon orange extract
- Preheat oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a blender, puree water and cashews until completely smooth. Make it so that 1 cup of the cashew cream is left in the blender, pouring the excess into a small ramekin. Then, add flaxseed and vanilla to the blender and puree until combined.
- In a large mixing bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, orange zest and salt together. Add vegan butter to the flour and cut it into the mixture, using a fork or pastry cutter, until it makes very small pieces.
- Create a well in the flour mixture, then pour the cashew liquid into it. Stir together until the dough pulls together and there are no dry spots. Add fresh cranberries to the dough, folding them in gently, just until mixed in evenly. Set aside to rest for 4 minutes.
- Lightly flour your work surface. Coat your hands with flour and move dough to the work surface. Dust the top with flour and knead 4 or 5 times, then press into a flat circle, roughly 3/4-inch high. Then, cut the dough into eight equal pie wedges and place on the baking sheet. Lightly brush the tops with leftover cashew cream, then place in the oven to bake for 16-19 minutes; or until golden on top.
- Once baked, transfer to a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes before glazing.
- Sift powdered sugar into a small mixing bowl. Add non-dairy milk, agave, orange zest and orange extract to the bowl, whisking until the glaze is runny, but thick.
- Once the scones have mostly cooled, drizzle the glaze over them. Doing this over wax paper helps with clean up. Enjoy!